Bringing High Tea Back Home
High tea with the ladies is always a treat, and hosting your very own allows for creativity in the kitchen and tableware. You’ll need your finest china and crystal, linen napkins, fresh-cut flowers and an attractive menu to match. The beauty with bringing high tea back home is the recipes you’re free to create. Here’s a simple yet show stopping way where the plain sandwich gets all dressed up for high tea too.
Inspired by the offering at The Mandarin Oriental high tea, Sara of Belly Rumbles created the simple salmon and cucumber sandwiches with a creative twist.
Salmon and Cucumber Sandwiches
115g hot smoked salmon, flaked
25g red (Spanish) onion, very finely chopped
2 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt & cracked pepper
2 Lebanese cucumbers (or small thin cucumbers), washed
6 slices fresh white bread 30g spreadable
1. In a medium bowl mix smoked salmon, red onion, mayonnaise and lemon juice until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Using a vegetable peeler slice long thin strips lengthwise from the cucumbers. Pat cucumber strips dry with some paper towel.
3. Spread cream cheese over a slice of bread. Lay the cucumber strips over the cream cheese, making sure they overlap slightly. Pat them down gently and turn the slice of bread over. The cucumber side becomes the outside of your sandwich.
Sara’s Tip: “Make sure that your cream cheese is at a consistency that will spread over the fresh bread without tearing. It is best to take it out of the fridge for 10 minutes before use. I use it as my “glue” to make the cucumber strips stick to the outside of the salmon and cucumber sandwiches. I feel it works best as it is white and matches the bread.”
4. Spread one slice of bread, on the non cucumber side, with the salmon filling. Then place another slice of bread, cucumber facing up, on top of the salmon.
5. Gently cut off the crusts and cut sandwiches into triangle quarters or fingers.
What creative ideas do you have to dress up a simple recipe? Tell us in the comments below!
Prefer to go out? Try This High Tea For The Fashionable and Fabulous
You may also like