Best Foot Forward
“Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.” Marilyn Monroe was onto something.
As Fashion Week comes to a close, women rejoice as the ‘comfy is cool’ mantra continues to dominate footwear on the 2014 runways. But we know the runway doesn’t always translate into real life – not easily, anyway. So here are some highlights from fashion week, and our advice on how to spend your shoe budget!
We saw five standout themes from fashion week around the globe that are worth a mention.
1. The luxe utilitarian trend continues with wedged hiking boots and other ‘urban inspired’ shoe comfort looks.
2. While neutral tones remain a staple item, molten metal tones in gold, silver and bronze were popular. Mix metallic with colour or use it as a stand-alone statement piece.
3. Fashion homage to the delicate kitten heel holds strong. A thin 90s style strap emphasises the ankle and elongates the leg.
4. Animal prints have gone cold-blooded for 2014, with crocodile print at the fore according to designers such as Stella McCartney.
5. From Dior to Alexander Wang to Rodarte, pointed toes are in abundance – flats, heels and boots. It’s a true ‘go anywhere’ shoe that keeps coming back.
WWD is here to help you – be inspired by the international runways without the high-end price tag. Here are our picks for the best on-trend comfy winter shoes without the jaw-dropping price.
Sleepwear as daywear is sticking around – but if you think this boudoir trend might quickly turn into a nightmare, go gently. Inspired by the classic smoking slipper, the slipper adds a touch of sophistication to any look from sleek pants, to chic skirts. Tip, be sure to choose a slipper that is actually designed for the outdoors.
Our pick is the Lora Hair On Slipper from Country Road. RRP$ 149
2. Knee-High Boots
Knee-high boots are not the enemy. This shoe has the potential to turn drab to fab. Opt for a dark tone and stick to knee length – once you venture over the knee, you’re in Pretty Woman territory.
Try the Joshi boots from Tony Bianco. RRP$ 289.95
3. Boyfriend Shoes
Androgyny is king. Think brogues, monk-strap shoes and anything your partner might pair with a suit. Add a feminine twist to this classic men’s shoe with some metallics or colour.
For a little midas touch, try the Emily metallic brogues from Grenson available at Life With Bird boutiques. RRP$ 475
Or Helsinki from Wittner. RRP$ 159.95
The loafer is the perfect balance between chic and comfort. It delivers an effortless day-look without the heel. The loafer is more polished than a ballet flat and will create a more pulled-together look. Think Stella McCartney, Paul Smith and Louis Vuitton.
We suggest the Perfecta loafer from Zoe Wittner Design. Part of a limited edition collection. RRP$ 199.95
5. Pointed-Toe Heels
The pointed-toe shoe is back for another winter, so before you toss away any of your shoes from last year – don’t! It’s a great shoe to match with most day to night outfits and has very flattering proportions.
We love the Eve High Heel from Witchery. RRP$ 199.95
There are many more great articles on womanwithdrive.com.au, stay up to speed and get all the latest articles first. It’s easy! Click here to subscribe.
You may also like